Finished rudder

Today I woke up early and got the trailing edge of the rudder riveted and leading edge rolled. It was good to experience this solo because it was a true test of workmanship and luckily I ended up with a straight trailing edge and round leading edge.  

 
Here you can see that there’s no hook in the trailing edge, it’s not perfectly straight at every rivet, but it’s not hooked. I can try little by little to smooth out the small waves, but it’s not critical. 

  
And here is the rudder hung on the vertical stab. It was surprisingly hard to fit the bolts into the hinges, not going to be an easy thing to remove if needed later. 

All in all, the 3 hours I spent were well worth t, and glad to knock off another assembly. On to the elevators! 

  

Finished rudder

Quick update

I thought I’d give a quick update on stuff, I won’t be back in the shop until next week, but I did take off the aluminum angles on the rudder trailing edge, and it turned out perfectly straight. Now I just have to rivet it with some double flush rivets and then I can mark the rudder as complete, then it’s on to the elevators! 

Quick update

Riveted rudder

Today I cleaned and primed all the rudder parts, then assembled, riveted and glued the trailing edge. I also received the ship date for my quick build wings and fuse.  

 
I’ve got nearly 4 months to finish the elevators. I hope I don’t run out of time 😉

  Here you can see the rivets on the reinforce the plate and the spar. The three reinforcement plate are all very similar. The hole in the center has a nut-plate riveted as well, this will accept the rudder hinges. 
  
Here you can see the blind rivets holding the rudder brace. Also the shop heads of the lower reinforce the plate. 

  
Here you can see the spar and skins riveted together. 

  
Here’s the lower rib riveted to the skin and lower faring flanges. Also the blind rivets holding the rudder brace. 

  A few days ago I bought some angle stock from Home Depot and match drilled them to the trailing edge. Here you can see it all clecoed together to check straightness. I then disassembled it and applied the sealant to the trailing edge wedge. It was extremely messy and sticky.  

 
Here you can see the trailing edge reclecoed and glued. Once this cures in a couple days I’ll remove the angle and then I’ll be ready to rivet the trailing edge together. 

All in all I think the 7 hours I spent today were well worth it. 

Riveted rudder

Continued work on the rudder

This morning I riveted all the stiffeners to the skins, even got a little help from mom on a few of the rivets. In the end all of them came out perfectly.  

 
Next I began on the rudder skeleton. It’s a much more involved structure than the stabs were.  

 
Here you can see the counter-balance skin clecoed onto the tip rib and the counter-balance rib. Once everything was clecoed I match drilled everything together. 

  And here is the rudder all drilled together. 

 I then disassembled everything and deburred all the holes.  

 I also countersunk the lead counter-balance weight for the dimples and screws that will hold this to the rib. 

Continued work on the rudder

Began the rudder 

Today I started working on the rudder. I began by trimming to size the rudder skin stiffeners.  

  
Once they were cut to size roughly I then used my scotchbrite wheel to shape and deburr all the edges of the stiffeners. I then match drilled all the stiffeners to the skins.  

 
Once they were match drilled I then disassembled it again to deburr the holes and prep the stiffeners and skins for dimpling. 

  
Here you can see all 232 dimples in the stiffener. I then had to do the same in the skins. 

  
Here you can see the skins being dimpled using the DRDT-2 dimpler. I used some old foam to support the skins, soft and easy to move around. 

   
 
Here the skins have been dimpled and the plastic has been removed for the rivets. 

I didn’t grab any pictures, but I also scuffed, cleaned, and primed all the stiffeners and the interior of the skins along the rivet holes. Next step is to back rivet the stiffeners to the skins but it was getting too late to get out the rivet gun. 

 

Began the rudder