Tonight I put a couple hours into finishing up he stiffeners. I was hesitant to bend the skins out of the way to back rivet the last rivet in the stiffeners, but in the end all of the rivets turned out perfect!
Here you can see the rivets set in the stiffener. All measured with the rivet guage and set good.
Here’s both elevators riveted with the skin stiffeners. Next step is to bend the trailing edges, and then move on to the skeleton.
While prepping the elevators for riveting I ran out of tape to hold the rivets for back riveting. My personal preference is to prep both elevators before riveting, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.
Here you can see the rivets all taped in for the skin stiffeners. The left elevator is sitting in the background, I’ll prep that and hopefully get them all riveted tomorrow night.
If you look closely you can see the rivets all lined up, the more I look at the polished aluminum the more tempted I am finish the plane with exposed aluminum.
Tonight I prepped and primed the skin stiffeners for the elevators, also got the trim servo parts primed and riveted. Not much tonight but still making progress.
I cleaned all the parts prior to priming.
After what seems like a couple weeks of very little work on the plane, my uncle came over to help me out and we spent about 3 hours today doing some edge finishing and deburring and surface prep on the elevator stiffeners.
Once that was done I countersunk the holes for the plate-nuts and riveted them in place. This is the plate that holds the electric trim servo on, and I also fit the servo to the mounting brackets and the brackets to the mounting plate. Not too much to show, by the countersinking was spot on, ended up with perfectly flush rivets.
Once I find the time again I’ll be priming the stiffeners and then riveting them to the skins. Slow progress but with the fuse and wings arriving in April, I have nearly 3 months to finish everything, so I’ve been slowing the pace down so I can enjoy some other areas of my life. Til next time!
Tonight I spent about half hour prepping the trim servo mounting provisions. Not much to show, but I dimpled the #6 screw holes and prepped the surface for priming.
This evening I finished match drilling and dimpling the elevators and elevator stiffeners, no pictures but pretty routine work. Tomorrow I’ll edge finish and deburr the parts in preparation for priming and riveting.
Today I went up wth my instructor to get my last hour under the hood before my checkride. Beautiful weather over half moon bay, couldn’t ask for a better way to start the year. Now to finish those elevators…