Didn’t get much time in the shop yesterday, but I did spend about an hour removing all the temporary rivets holding the interior panels in place. I drilled out about 50 pop rivets, and removed the seat floors and baggage area floors, along with the two side panels where the flap weldment will be mounted. Also removed the baggage bulkhead panels. Not much progress, but every step counts.
Month: February 2017
More fuselage work
Today I spent some time working with the quick build fuselage. Because a lot of the work was done in the factory, there are parts in place that are held by temporary rivets. I went through and removed all of them and began disassembling the panels from the interior.
Next I began with the control column and control stick installations. I’m kind of jumping the gun on this because it wil just have to come back out, but there’s something about giving the plane the control sticks that was kinda cool.
I also drilled all the seat rivets to #30 for the -4 rivets.
I need to build a fuselage rack because right now it’s sitting on a furniture dolly and is too low. Before I work on the fuse any more I’ll build the frame to hold the fuse.
Today I started on the fuselage by getting some work done on the seats.
I started by cutting the angle stock to size and then shaping and prepping all the hinges for drilling.
The side angles are made from .125″ thick and the cross supports are made from .060. Per the drawings I radiused the top angle to be able to fit inside the seat.
Here you can see the difference between the radiused and stock angle.
Here you can see how it fits in the seat. This allows it to sit flush against the skin for riveting.
Here I have everything clamped in place after shaping and aligning everything.
I didn’t get any pictures during the drilling process, but here’s the seat in the plane after everything was drilled to #40. This will all get drilled to #30 for the -4 rivets.
Next is to make the remaining seat! I was tempted to sit in it, but I don’t have the fuselage supported enough yet. I’m in the process of building a fuselage stand.
Back at it (almost)
Yesterday I had the rare day where I could get away and get into the garage. After spending about 5 minutes looking at everything I realized I needed to spend the day cleaning the shop before attempting to do any work on the fuselage.
Over the last 6 months or so, more and more junk started piling up, and it became more difficult even walk around. Now that the wings are done I decided to move everything out and do a full clean sweep.
With the plane in the driveway I got out the vacuum and broom and swept and cleaned all the leaves and junk out of the garage.
Also organized the benches and put everything away, I have a bad habit of leaving my tools and everything out on the tables, so I decided to clean those off as well.
The end result, plane back in the shop with plenty of room to begin work. Plan is to store the wings in the other garage to have nearly the whole garage to work on the fuse. Just need to build a fuse stand and then I’m good to go.
I’ll be doing more updates moving forward, I’m going to be working a lot more often on the project.