Today I spent a few hours working on the ELT DIN wire, which is the power, ground, and GPS serial Rx. This allows the ELT to transmit GPS location.
I soldered the shielded 3 conductor wire to the connector, insulated it with some silicone, then soldered the short 4th wire, which is connected to a small LED to test the gps signal. Once that’s verified as working, that short wire gets cut and insulated against cable coming from the connector.
I also measured and cut the coax cable for the ADS-B antenna. It’s routed through the center rib near the pitot tubing.
Here you can see the elevator bell crank in its forward most position. Plenty of clearance to everything routed there, and considering the way I have things secured there is no relative motion between the antenna, pitot/AOA tubes, and the surrounding structure. I then crimped the BNC connector on the other end and connected it to the module.
I then spent some time experimenting with the Engine Module location and sensor harnesses. Once I install the rudder pedals I can rivet the panel sub structure and begin systems installation. It will be temporary, just to make the wire harness, then things will be removed for the interior painting that I will do.
I also confirmed and placed the order for my interior. I am going with Classic Aero Designs in Oregon. They have some really nice options and custom colors.
I am going with an all leather interior, with their Aviator seats, with the headrest option. The seats also have my N number embroidered and an RV-7 logo. I am very pleased with the service and support that I got from Classic Aero. A few back and forth emails and one phone call, and everything was figured out and the order placed. I am very excited about this!
The goal for the weekend was to install the Vans ELT mount and the ELT in the plane. It’s mounted on the right side behind the baggage bulkhead. The Vans mount has you use blind rivets to attach the bracket on the stringers than run along the side of the fuselage. It’s extremely difficult to get the rivet squeezer into the right position to drive the rivets properly, but I managed. I also decided to install the ADS-B module on the same bracket because there was plenty of room.
Once I had everything in position I ran the wires through the conduit. This includes the harness for the ADS-B, the phone line for the ELT, the 3-conductor wire for the ELT power and gps, and the rg-400 coax cable for the ADS-B antenna. I somehow managed to fit everything through the two conduits I have running under the seats. Only thing left to do is attach the antenna to the ELT and the ADS-B. By closing those two units out, the tail is now completely wired! Everything else will be forward of the seats and under the panel.
Happy new year!
Yesterday I got a box of hoses from Tom at TSFlightlines. First and foremost, I want to say that it was some of the greatest service I’ve had from any supplier during my project.
A couple weeks ago I sent an email expressing interest, and Tom immediately responded. A few back and forth emails and I was out in the garage measuring hose runs.
I put together a list of lengths and applications, packed up a box of my existing hoses that came with the engine, and shipped them to Tom.
Tom let me know he received my package and almost immediately he turned it around and shipped me my finished hoses. It was incredible service. I opened up the box yesterday, and in about 10 minutes, all the hoses on the plane were installed, everything lined up perfectly. It was one of the easiest things I’ve done thus far on the project. I will also say, the price for the hoses and service is incredibly reasonable and worth every penny. I highly recommend them!