I spent a few hours in the hangar to finish up the vertical stabilizer mounting to the fuselage.
I started by fabricating the shims that go between the front spar of the vertical stab and the horizontal stab mounting bracket. I then drilled them using the prepunched holes.
After measuring everything was straight and the leading edge of the vertical stab was 1/4 inch to the left of the fuselage centerline, I drilled the bracket o the horizontal stab and bolted it in place.
Then I measured and drilled the three bolts that hold the vertical stab to the rear bulkhead and tail spring mount. These bolts go through 4 or 5 layers of metal, and need to be precisely placed.
I got everything properly lined up and was able to keep the minimum edge distances on everything
I bolted everything into place to make sure the vertical stab was still straight. I also decided to check the tail fairing, just to see how it looks.
This is really starting to look cool. The last thing I did was verify the rudder still swung freely and to measuring the rudder throw.
I I staled the elevators and the rudder and everything was as smooth as silk. There was no binding of any of the control surfaces. The rudder has the required 35deg of throw, but I need to adjust the rudder stops, as the rudder exceeds the 35deg of throw before hitting the stops.