Finished Stiffeners 

Tonight I put a couple hours into finishing up he stiffeners. I was hesitant to bend the skins out of the way to back rivet the last rivet in the stiffeners, but in the end all of the rivets turned out perfect!  

 
Here you can see the rivets set in the stiffener. All measured with the rivet guage and set good.  

 
Here’s both elevators riveted with the skin stiffeners. Next step is to bend the trailing edges, and then move on to the skeleton. 

Finished Stiffeners 

Elevator rivets

While prepping the elevators for riveting I ran out of tape to hold the rivets for back riveting. My personal preference is to prep both elevators before riveting, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.


Here you can see the rivets all taped in for the skin stiffeners. The left elevator is sitting in the background, I’ll prep that and hopefully get them all riveted tomorrow night.


If you look closely you can see the rivets all lined up, the more I look at the polished aluminum the more tempted I am finish the plane with exposed aluminum.

Elevator rivets

Elevator

Tonight I prepped and primed the skin stiffeners for the elevators, also got the trim servo parts primed and riveted. Not much tonight but still making progress.  

   
I cleaned all the parts prior to priming. 

Elevator

Back at it again! 

After what seems like a couple weeks of very little work on the plane, my uncle came over to help me out and we spent about 3 hours today doing some edge finishing and deburring and surface prep on the elevator stiffeners. 

Once that was done I countersunk the holes for the plate-nuts and riveted them in place. This is the plate that holds the electric trim servo on, and I also fit the servo to the mounting brackets and the brackets to the mounting plate. Not too much to show, by the countersinking was spot on, ended up with perfectly flush rivets. 

 
Once I find the time again I’ll be priming the stiffeners and then riveting them to the skins. Slow progress but with the fuse and wings arriving in April, I have nearly 3 months to finish everything, so I’ve been slowing the pace down so I can enjoy some other areas of my life. Til next time! 

Back at it again! 

Finished rudder

Today I woke up early and got the trailing edge of the rudder riveted and leading edge rolled. It was good to experience this solo because it was a true test of workmanship and luckily I ended up with a straight trailing edge and round leading edge.  

 
Here you can see that there’s no hook in the trailing edge, it’s not perfectly straight at every rivet, but it’s not hooked. I can try little by little to smooth out the small waves, but it’s not critical. 

  
And here is the rudder hung on the vertical stab. It was surprisingly hard to fit the bolts into the hinges, not going to be an easy thing to remove if needed later. 

All in all, the 3 hours I spent were well worth t, and glad to knock off another assembly. On to the elevators! 

  

Finished rudder

Quick update

I thought I’d give a quick update on stuff, I won’t be back in the shop until next week, but I did take off the aluminum angles on the rudder trailing edge, and it turned out perfectly straight. Now I just have to rivet it with some double flush rivets and then I can mark the rudder as complete, then it’s on to the elevators! 

Quick update

Riveted rudder

Today I cleaned and primed all the rudder parts, then assembled, riveted and glued the trailing edge. I also received the ship date for my quick build wings and fuse.  

 
I’ve got nearly 4 months to finish the elevators. I hope I don’t run out of time 😉

  Here you can see the rivets on the reinforce the plate and the spar. The three reinforcement plate are all very similar. The hole in the center has a nut-plate riveted as well, this will accept the rudder hinges. 
  
Here you can see the blind rivets holding the rudder brace. Also the shop heads of the lower reinforce the plate. 

  
Here you can see the spar and skins riveted together. 

  
Here’s the lower rib riveted to the skin and lower faring flanges. Also the blind rivets holding the rudder brace. 

  A few days ago I bought some angle stock from Home Depot and match drilled them to the trailing edge. Here you can see it all clecoed together to check straightness. I then disassembled it and applied the sealant to the trailing edge wedge. It was extremely messy and sticky.  

 
Here you can see the trailing edge reclecoed and glued. Once this cures in a couple days I’ll remove the angle and then I’ll be ready to rivet the trailing edge together. 

All in all I think the 7 hours I spent today were well worth it. 

Riveted rudder