This weekend I had a few hours to work on the plane. It’s been a couple months since I’ve spent a good chunk of time on it.
I decided to take off the old conventional master and starter contractors. I’ve decided to go with Vertical Power Primary Power System. This is a single unit that replaces the contractors, as well as current shunt and fuses. I’m also using the Vertical Power Pro solid state VPX. These two will work really well together.
For easiest access I mounted this on the edge of the firewall near the battery as far away from the exhaust as possible. Every bolt and post is accessible. I also crimped on the ring terminals for the alternator and for the starter once I had this mounted.
I also wired up the J1 harness that includes all the inputs for the master switch, battery and alternator current sense and fault indicators. This will all feed into my EFIS and be displayed on the engine monitoring page.
Today I spent a few hours working on the exhaust hangars, heater and the fuel lines.
It’s been on my to-do list for a long long time, but I finally marked and drilled the hole in the firewall for the fuel line.
I then test fitted the fuel line between the pump and firewall fitting. I had to fabricate a new tube in order to fit the position I drilled the hole. In hindsight I should have drilled it about one inch to the left of this, in order to provide more room for the heater scat tubing on the other side, however it should be fine.
The forward tunnel cover will go over this portion of the tubing as well as the wiring harness.
I then worked on the hangars for the exhaust as well as heat muff.
Here you can see the hangars before I installed the heat muff. The left hangar here will need to be modified to account for it.
I didn’t get any pictures during the install, but here is the heater installed with the tubing. I will need to add some support to prevent chaffing of the tubes on the engine mount.
I will also need to add some support for the fuel tubing here to prevent rubbing on the tube. It shouldn’t be too difficult to keep these two separated.
I will need to fabricate a support bar to extend the exhaust mount a bit wider in order to attach the hangar in order to avoid the scat tube.
Today I spent a few hours cleaning the shop and installing some fittings on the engine. My goal is to hang the engine next weekend.
I started by rotating the prop governor and installed the cable bracket.
I cut the safety wire on the six screws holding the governor so that I could rotate the lever arm. I then installed the cable bracket in white and reinstalled the screws and re-safety wired them.
I needed to install the oil cooler fittings, but that requires removing the right p-mag. Once off I could easily screw the fitting in.
This is the fitting installed and with tape over it to keep moisture out. You can see how tight it is to get a wrench on there.
The other oil fitting is much easier.
The fitting (with tape over it) is right above the left p-mag and just under the oil breather tube (with the red cap).
I also installed the fuel pump outlet and fitting for the fuel pressure.
Fuel will come out the bottom port and go to the fuel servo near the front of the engine.
I also installed the oil pressure fitting
And the manifold pressure fitting from the number 3 cylinder.
You can see it here wrapped in tape just above the oil return line.
I finally installed the fuel overflow fitting to the fuel pump.
There are a few more things to install, but that can be done after the engine is hung. There are a few more holes I need to drill in the firewall for cables and wires, but that’s no more than an hour of work, and I’m hoping to get it done some time this week.