This weekend I spent time getting the elevator horns drilled for the pushrod and the horizontal stab drilled and mounted to the fuselage.
Britney was in town visiting me this weekend so, of course, I asked her to help me work on the plane. She has been very encouraging and really wants to help on the project. So we got started by mounting the elevators to the horizontal stab on the bench.
Once we got the elevators lined up and clamped, we measured which horn was aft, and then removed the left elevator.
I measured and then drilled the hole for the pushrod, and then I fabricated a block to span the gap between the horns, remounted the left elevator and placed the block between the horns. This ensured that the #30 pilot hole was drilled perfectly perpendicular.
Once the pilot hole was drilled, I enlarged it for the AN3 bolt that will eventually hold the pushrod.
The resulting holes are perfectly lined up and perpendicular.
Once this was done, we removed the elevators and then positioned the horizontal stab on the fuselage.
We measured, and then measured, and then measured again. I clamped everything into place and measured one last time.
I then drilled my #30 pilot hole through the stab and then remeasured. After ensuring nothing moved, I final drilled it for the AN3 bolt and then inserted the bolt to prevent anything from shifting.
This is the underside of the outer holes after drilling the pilot holes. Edge distances for the longeron were right on the money.
I then proceeded to drill the remaining two holes, and fabricated the F-798 shims. Everything lined up and I did one final measurement, and it all remained perfectly aligned.
I bolted the forward bolts, used a 3/16th spacer to raise the rear spar to the right height, and then drilled and bolted the four holes to mount the rear spar to the fuselage.
Next up is the vertical stab!