It’s been a while since I’ve made an update…work and life have taken a priority over the last few months, but I’ve made some progress here and there.
Yesterday and today I spent some time working on the elevator and the autopilot servo pushrod installation. These three pushrods are kind of hard to reach and require washers in between the rod end bearings and the bell cranks, my washer wrench helped a lot.
I also installed my ELT antenna in the aft the airplane. It will sit under the vertical stabilizer faring. I like this much better than mounting it on top of the fuselage.
This is looking down onto the horizontal stabilizer. It will be secured under the faring with a clamp so as to not let the antenna rub on the fiberglass.
I also spent some time a few weeks ago working on the canopy frame and springs. I spent a few hours fabricating the attach points.
Here you can see both the canopy frame side and the fuselage side of the attachments. I originally fabricated a backing plate out of some 1/16th aluminum and two nut plates, however after some research online, I came across a CNCd version of this that is a single piece and has a back plate this is awesome. I installed those and I highly recommend them! Buller Enterprises makes a few experimental parts. I purchased the ball stud mounts and the canopy guides. Easy to install and much stronger than the ones I made.
I also finished riveting and test fitting the canopy frame stiffeners.
I still need to fabricate some spacers and then prime/prep all the surfaces. But the canopy frame is getting closer to completion!
The shop is a little messy, but the plane is looking good!
I’m hoping to get more time to work on the plane in the new year. Until then, I hope that everyone has a great holiday season!
One thought on “Lots of work – Canopy and Empenage”
George Love this ! I am proud of you my friend.