Today I spent a couple hours putting the forward fuselage gussets in place. They are unique to the -7 vs the -7A. The tri-gear plane rear landing gear are mounted just forward of the center section. Since the -7 is a tail trager, there is a gap here that need to be reinforced using these gussets. They are attached to the sides of the fuselage with 5 bolts that need to be match drilled. The gussets also line up with the bottom wing attach bolts.
I lined everything up and then drilled the holes to #40 and then enlarged for the AN3 bolts. I prepped and primed these and then attached them to the fuselage. The whole interior will be painted with my interior paint, but it’s good to prime all the parts especially mating surfaces.
I also sent a bit of time working on the panel attachment brackets. Since I’m using twin Skyview HDC screens, I need to move the Vans panel supports inboard. This requires making some custom brackets to attach the panel to the sub panel. I received a shipment of L stock from vans that worked perfectly for this.
I decided to wrap up the center section bolts that are used for the tricycle gear. In the tail dragged version the bolts need to be put into the center section.
The bottom bolts were difficult to reach but everything is now in place and torqued.
I also placed the remaining two cover supports on the sides of the fuselage, forward of the center section.
Next up is to wrap up the exhaust hangar modification. And to drill the wing fuel attachment bracket to the sides of the fuselage.
Today I spent a few hours working on the exhaust hangars, heater and the fuel lines.
It’s been on my to-do list for a long long time, but I finally marked and drilled the hole in the firewall for the fuel line.
I then test fitted the fuel line between the pump and firewall fitting. I had to fabricate a new tube in order to fit the position I drilled the hole. In hindsight I should have drilled it about one inch to the left of this, in order to provide more room for the heater scat tubing on the other side, however it should be fine.
The forward tunnel cover will go over this portion of the tubing as well as the wiring harness.
I then worked on the hangars for the exhaust as well as heat muff.
Here you can see the hangars before I installed the heat muff. The left hangar here will need to be modified to account for it.
I didn’t get any pictures during the install, but here is the heater installed with the tubing. I will need to add some support to prevent chaffing of the tubes on the engine mount.
I will also need to add some support for the fuel tubing here to prevent rubbing on the tube. It shouldn’t be too difficult to keep these two separated.
I will need to fabricate a support bar to extend the exhaust mount a bit wider in order to attach the hangar in order to avoid the scat tube.
Today I spent a few hours cleaning the shop and installing some fittings on the engine. My goal is to hang the engine next weekend.
I started by rotating the prop governor and installed the cable bracket.
I cut the safety wire on the six screws holding the governor so that I could rotate the lever arm. I then installed the cable bracket in white and reinstalled the screws and re-safety wired them.
I needed to install the oil cooler fittings, but that requires removing the right p-mag. Once off I could easily screw the fitting in.
This is the fitting installed and with tape over it to keep moisture out. You can see how tight it is to get a wrench on there.
The other oil fitting is much easier.
The fitting (with tape over it) is right above the left p-mag and just under the oil breather tube (with the red cap).
I also installed the fuel pump outlet and fitting for the fuel pressure.
Fuel will come out the bottom port and go to the fuel servo near the front of the engine.
I also installed the oil pressure fitting
And the manifold pressure fitting from the number 3 cylinder.
You can see it here wrapped in tape just above the oil return line.
I finally installed the fuel overflow fitting to the fuel pump.
There are a few more things to install, but that can be done after the engine is hung. There are a few more holes I need to drill in the firewall for cables and wires, but that’s no more than an hour of work, and I’m hoping to get it done some time this week.